True...crime?

 This week our reading theme was true crime, but I focused more on the true part and less on the crime part....at least for the girls any way.  Plus this theme overlaps the next which is "read a novel based on a real person" and I haven't found many appealing "novels" about real people but since it is Lent I think reading about the saints would be appropriate.  Any way, onward and upward....what have we been reading any way.





MOM'S READING

I finished Truevine by Beth Macy.  It was good and well researched.  I learned a lot about circus sideshows, the Jim Crow south, and a family with a strange history.  I chose this book because February is also Black History Month and I wanted to find a book that researched some crimes done on African Americans.  This book didn't disappoint my goal.  

HERMIONE'S READING

Hermione had a little catch up reading to do.  She read some shorter books this week and this shows you how much we don't pay much attention to sports as she had to ask  me if mountain climbing and survival hiking books counted as a book about sports.  I said yes, but it was exactly what I had in mind for her to read but if she was interested it would totally count.  

For true crime, I recommended she read A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park.  




I think she liked it.  She said it was really short and she finished it in only a couple hours if not less.

PICTURE BOOKS

We mostly read some old Valentine's Picture books, but we did read about Susan B. Anthony for her birthday week.  







   








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........