The Great American Read: Day 31 The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

I think I first saw The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz in Entertainment Weekly when we use to get those magazines.  I remember it being hailed as just this great amazing book.  To tell you the truth when I read that about a book this is what my I hear in my head- "There will be a lot of cussing, whining, and sexual awakening because we are enlightened now" in this book.  And, boy, was I ever right.  Add some cultural stereotyping, awkward footnotes, and can't understand in context Spanish words that I had to look up continually and you have this book or at least this book so far.  I only had time to read 25 pages because I had to look up so many words, but I don't see this going in my "loved" or even "liked" it pile .  I will be lucky if I can finish it so I will just stop this post right here and hope for the best.  Two stinky books in a row is not a fun come back from being so sick.





This is also a library book and I don't plan to buy it any time soon.  I honestly am looking forward to quite a few others on the list before I get to this one.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

The Great American Read: Day 3 A Prayer for Owen Meany