The Great American Read: Day 93 Pride and Prejudice

This is a post that will not do this book justice- at all- but you need to know I LOVE Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I didn't fall in love with Jane Austen till I was in college.  I was actually really intimidated by her.  She was too high brow for me until I took the time to read her work.  A friend suggested I start with Sense and Sensibility.  But I still can't read Austen without being alone in a quiet place or maybe light piano music in the background.  What really clenched my love for Austen's work were the movie adaptions, though, and it really helped that I found out I share her birthday (December 16th).  I have so many reading goals for the future but one of them has been to have a Jane Austen Year in which I would primarily read all her works and see how many adaptions and biographies or sequels I could read.  I don't know when this will be but it WILL happen.

#VOTEPridePrej





At my sister-in-law's Regency Themed Wedding
If you don't know (you should know) this book is about the Bennett sisters, Mr. Darcy, Mr. Bingley, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Mr. Collins, Wickam, and has the famous first line "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."  It is so hard to boil down why I love this book because I don't even like romance that much but this is so much more than romance.  Jane Austen has the gift of being witty and sarcastic and taking the most human parts of us (love, jealousy, pride, anger, passion, joy, intellect, awkwardness) and manages to make a believable, beautiful story that ends with a happily ever after.  Here is Crash Course again to say the things I wish I knew or had time to articulate.  



At one time I had dabbled in joining the 100s of other blogs that obsess over Austen and her novels.  I love Jane Austen, but apparently I don't love her THAT much.  I am also not a purist as I love both the BBC mini series version as well as the 2005 version equally- GASP!  I have yet to meet an Austenite who will admit that.  I will even go one further and say I like Bride and Prejudice almost more than both- Bollywood style Pride and Prejudice for the win! 




Okay here are the proposal scenes from the two most popular versions of the adaptions.



This isn't strictly Pride and Prejudice but this is BRILLIANT!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........