Mom's Reading Corner: The Winter People


From the Lit Lovers Reading Guide:

1. At the heart of the novel is the longing to be reunited with a loved one who has died.  How would you respond to this possibility, even if you could only see your beloved for one week?  What risks would you take to experience such a reunion?

The possibility of seeing a loved one who has died resurrected for only a week does not seem worth it to me.  I am not that attached to any human that I would risk very much to "get them back".

2. What was it like to see Sara's diary, alternating with scenes from other time periods?  Did Sara's words change your vision of the spirit world?  Did her bond with Gertie remind you of your own experience with a mother's love?

It was interesting to see Sara's diary.  The spirit world didn't seem very fleshed out to me, but I liked the concept.  Her bond with Gertie was strong and the love my mother has for me is also strong but my mom knows if I am gone I am going to be with Jesus so she would let me be.

3.  When Alice and her family inhabit Sara's house and her land, how does that environment transform them?  Do you believe that the history of a locale can influence your present-day experiences there?

I feel I don't fully understand Alice's family to answer this question.  If the environment "transformed" them I guess it made them want to be off the grid and away from others, but I thought the whole point was that they wanted to protect the people from Gertie.  Could they have protected other people without "living off the grid."?  I don't think so.  If the history of the locale is strong and unchanging then-yes, I believe it can influence your present day experiences.

4.  Ruthie and Fawn have been raised to question authority and to live a non-materialistic life.  What benefits and challenges does their upbringing give them when their mother goes missing?  Ultimately, what did Alice try to teach her daughters about becoming fulfilled women?

Since Ruthie will not go to the police she has to be resourceful with what is around her.  She and Fawn have to look for clues.  Ruthie seems fairly level headed but she still relies on her boyfriend (who we never get to find much out about in the end so I am tiny bit annoyed by that) to help her find out who the people's IDs are that her mom had hidden in her room.  It wasn't till both Fawn and Ruthie were held at gun point did they show their bravery.  Ruthie went in the cave even though she was claustrophobic and Fawn went even though she had a fever.  They also were ready in the end to take on the responsibility of protecting the town from Gertie.

PERSONAL THOUGHTS:  I liked this creepy type of book.  I thought it had more potential but I loved the ending- GARY!!!!- that is a nice scary open ended ending.  Ruthie was smart and not an annoying character.  I felt really bad for Fawn.  I almost thought she was going to end up being killed by Gertie.  I liked the mystery of the missing mom and how Gary came to the little town.  I wish the Auntie and Sara story made more sense.  It was satisfactory that Auntie died in that horrible gruesome way.  All in all, fun light and a little scary read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........