Mom's Reading Corner- brought to you by a tropical smoothie

This week for the Popsugar Challenge I have finished Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller by Sarah Miller for the prompt "a book by or about a person with a disability". 


I have wanted to read this book for awhile since I found it was an Oregon Battle of the Books books.  I have been a fan of The Miracle Worker and Helen Keller's life for a long time.  I love American Sign Language and was even privileged enough to work with a group of deaf children as a camp counselor for a week.  This was a great book from Annie Sullivan's perspective.  She does call Helen some names that would be greatly frowned upon today but knowing that this is from a different time and being sensitive to Annie's childhood I was not taken aback.  I enjoyed this book. 

I was originally going to attempt two books this week but as soon as I started reading Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery I knew I wanted to savor that book.  Montgomery has such a way with words and descriptions.  I want to slowly soak this one up.  By the way I am reading this one for the prompt "a book with a cat on the cover".  I have wanted to read this book for a long while now and I thought I might fit it with the prompt "first book in a series", but I also didn't want to read a book exclusively about a cat or cats.  If you know me I am not a huge animal lover.  So when I was reminded about this book I jumped at the chance to start it.

 


L.M. Montgomery is also the author of the famous Anne of Green Gables series which coincidentally has been reworked as a series on Netflix.  I haven't read the whole series but I was a very big fan of the Sullivan 1980s TV mini-series except for maybe the Continuing Story (that has some very strange problems).  I was at first pretty hopeful about this new Ann with an E.  I am not usually very critical but I could tell almost immediately that the blogger I follow Carrots for Michaelmas was going to have some serious issues with this new Anne.  I felt like I was going to be very forgiving and let the creative license of those who are smarter and have more money then me do their thing.  But I have to admit it started going downhill for me near the middle of episode 3.  I don't know if I have the heart to go on.  While I have been reading Emily during this time it seems as if much of what is in this new Anne is actually closer to Emily's experiences.  Any way this new Anne is not the Anne I remember even though she looks closer to the original description from the books in this new series- it doesn't make up for the strange modern phrasing, bringing Mean Girls to the screen in Victorian dress, or making it so gritty that you end up losing the hope from the original story.

I must now go HERE for a pallet cleanser.   

This weekend we were also had a fashion tea at church.  I didn't take many pictures as I wasn't in a good mood but here is some fun with friends. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........