Mom's Reading Corner

As I look over my reading list and my weekly stats and check ins I am currently 3 books behind so I will just do a quick recap of what I have read so far to catch up or what caused me to be so behind in the first place. 


I finally finished Emma by Jane Austen.  This book was for the prompt "book that has been on my To Be Read list for too long".  Now I know why it took me so long to finish.  Getting interrupted during a Jane Austen book is rough for me.  I lose the flow of the language even if I am already familiar with the story.  As much as I did enjoy this book I never should have stopped part of the way through.  It made for a very difficult jump back into it book- it took an embarrassing 2 weeks to finish only about 20% of the book. 


So for my next read I went in pretty much the opposite direction.  Bossypants by Tina Fey was.....interesting.....um....mildly funny.....disjointed....didn't have a clear message or flow, but it did have a couple of relatable parts including Tina's feelings about animals and not driving and motherhood struggles.  I needed a short read and I really wanted to read this one and I wanted to really like it because I enjoy Tina Fey's humor.  But this book came off just a little too self-deprecating and I didn't need to know how to "label" people (she peppered quite a few chapters with a lot of talking about gays, lesbians, blacks, whites, Greeks, Koreans etc) which I believe perpetuates the problems of racism and sexism, but what do I know.  I am not a liberated feminist.  What else can I say except that this wasn't laugh out loud funny, but certainly not a complete waste of time.  I learned some rules about improv comedy and I liked when she explained some things about 30 Rock.  Originally I wanted to read this book for the prompt "a book about an interesting woman" but I filled it.  Then I thought about using it for "a book written by someone you admire", but I sadly feel less admiration for Tina Fey considering her slight over use of curse words (just a personal thing) and her fishing for complements attitude.  This may be a stretching it but I am using this book for the prompt "a book with career advice". 






Because I am trying to catch up I needed another short book so I used Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke as my audio book.  This was a good book.  I really enjoyed the character of Igraine.  She is brave, thoughtful, resourceful, and confident.  This is really a story about family working together to keep a neighboring enemy from stealing the family's magic books.  Leave it to a German, though, to make the nickname for the bad guy- hedgehog.  A hedgehog is one of the most adorable animals in the world in my opinion so that was a little disappointing but it didn't ruin the story.  Since this was for the prompt "audio book" I had plenty of time to cross stitch during this time.  I would highly recommend this book. 

I have four more books to read in the next 5 days to stay on schedule.  Realistically I will only get 1 or 2 done this weekend because my sister is coming to visit and Lucy has a big scary dentist appointment on Monday.  I picked some really short books though so you never know.  Good luck to me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........