Nordic Noir/Scandinavian Reads

MOM'S READING 

So 2018 didn't exactly start off so well for me.  Stomach cramps and a fever shot me down at around 4pm New Years Day on Monday and didn't let up till some time in the evening on Wednesday.  Two of the girls threw up in school and one of them is giving me an anxiety attack because she won't eat and won't stop crying in the morning.  I want normal, but I guess that is too much to ask for.  Any way, prayers appreciated.

For my Popsugar Monthly Reading we voted to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for the prompt  Nordic Noir.  I have heard of this book before and I had seen a very disturbing part of the Swedish version of the movie.  I was worried about the grittiness and the bleakness and the disturbing elements, but I have been surprised.  Don't get me wrong- it IS a bit disturbing and dark BUT it is also mysterious and intriguing.

I even had time to finish the Swedish version of the movie after a couple tries.  It is more disturbing watching a couple of the scenes rather than reading it but the story itself is MUCH more streamlined in the movie.  

I won't have time right now to watch the Americanized version of it but the trailer actually looked good- even if I have read some say it was "crap" but hey- I am game.  So eventually I hope to but I might skip the most disturbing bits. 

HERMIONE'S READING

My ten year old is taking the challenge as well, but Nordic Noir is not appropriate.  So I introduced her to Pippi Longstocking!  The author, Astrid Lindgren, is even referred to in my book so it absolutely goes with the theme. 





These were her thoughts-"Funny, Interesting, and weird"

EVEN MORE!

Lucy and I read a couple of the longer Pippi Longstocking books.














Lucy says they were funny and good.  Lucy is six- btw. 

READ ALOUD

This is our first read a loud of the year!  It has nothing to do with the week's theme but I will use it for the Popsugar animal prompt (#26) if I get too behind.  We haven't read far and it isn't very long but it seems really sweet. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........