Sports

MOM'S READING

I wasn't looking forward to this week's theme and I was right not to.  This week we attempted (I say attempted because Hermione is a little behind and I wasn't actively looking for sports books for the other two girls) to read a book about or involving sports.  This was the group read from Facebook Popsugar AND Goodreads so it was voted to read Beartown by Fredrick Backman. 






I am not really enjoying it.  It is too predictable and fully of cliches.  There are many serious issues addressed but it is too repetitive and tries WAY too hard to sound philosophical.  I don't want to discount the subject matter but it totally reminded me of why I hate sports culture and high school.  I am still not finished so maybe it gets a little better but I won't be counting on it.  I am listening to this book on audio and there are too many characters to keep track of for me- but that might be a personal preference.  Too bad- I had seen such praise for this book. 

BTW- if reading was a sport I would be in the Major Leagues!
Popsugar Stats- 6/40 & 0/10

NEWBERY/FINISHED BOOKS

I decided to count this as "favorite color in title" book

 
This book was so amazing!  I love these children and the holy dog!

 Newbery Points:  7 points (Goal: 15-29 L'Engle)

PICTURE BOOKS

I wish I had remembered to get some sports books but I guess a zoo is not THAT much different from sports- right?
















I will try a little harder next week, but next week is a VERY busy week as we have Valentine's Day, Ash Wednesday/start of the season of Lent, Black Panther coming out, and various church activities.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........