A Book Set in a Country that Fascinates You

MOM'S READING

Well this is a really late post but on my husband's suggestion I have been switching my "day off" to Tuesdays and it is messing with my blogging schedule.  I am trying to see if this still works.  My brain is having a hard time wrapping around a new schedule especially in the middle of Lent.  I will just jump in and try to figure it out as I go.

So this week I chose to read On the Road with Francis of Assisi by Linda Bird Francke to accomplish two goals- read about a Saint during Lent and to read a book set in a country that fascinates you.  I feel like I could have picked any book for this as just about every single country fascinates me to some degree but I wanted to line up a read during Lent and I like to think of myself as "Italian" even though I was just born there- I am not of Italian decent. 






I wish there were better quality/color photos in this book.  I had to keep looking up stuff on Youtube to get a sense of the places the author was describing, but it has been an interesting and educational read.  I wouldn't necessarily call enjoyable as it is a bit dry and factual.  She quotes a lot of different books about Saint Francis and at one point I thought maybe I would be better off reading on of those books.  In any case, I am glad to say I am almost done and I learned more about Saint Francis and Saint Clare beyond Brother Sun, Sister Moon

Progress: I am still not completely done with this book so I am still at 8/40 & 0/10

HERMIONE'S READING

Because of the schedule change I haven't been able to figure out when to do library holds.  So I didn't know exactly what to do for Hermione.  She wanted to read a book with the setting in Russia.  I had one slotted but I don't know if it is coming and if she will want to read it.  My library system is out of wack so again bare with me while I work out the kinks.

What I do know is she has been reading The Land of Stories Series (which if we don't catch up with each other or stay on track can count as "book with twins") and I gave her The Wolf Wilder which takes place in Russia.









PICTURE BOOKS

We definitely didn't stick with any particular theme these past weeks- again getting the transition has not been smooth.  We did honor Dr. Seuss' birthday by reading aloud a few books to each other and I updated my goodreads list for a couple of books I had not added before such as Wacky Wednesday and Oh the Thinks You Can Think! 












My personal favorite!  My mom read it to me a lot and I had memorized most of it.
There are more Dr. Seuss books I should have read but I don't really remember them so next year we will make sure to read more of them. 










LENT/EXTRA READING

Surprisingly I have gotten a little extra reading in and because I feel the need to read more intentionally and thoughtfully during the season of Lent I have set up in my mind if I have extra time what I would like to be reading during each week but for the lack of time not likely to complete.

Lenten Reading Schedule:  
Week One- Biography (would like it to be a biography based on the Lent Madness winner if at all possible) 
Week Two- Theology 
Week Three- Christian Living 
Week Four- Christian Classic
Week Five- Church History
Week Six- Family/Marriage

Partially because the Biography one was being covered most of this week (I have a back up one too) I searched my shelves for a quick theology read and I found Who Needs Theology? which looked quick and easy.  I doubt I will have time for this much extra reading but I have read 32 pages of only 150 pages which IS progress. 





Newbery books will be put on hold until after Lent. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........