The Great American Read: Day 1 The Count of Monte Cristo

I have been completely inspired by The Great American Read program.  Sometimes as an avid reader I feel alone, but this has really brought me to my people.  I have joined the Facebook Book Club and have totally convinced my crazy self to try to read all 100 books.  There are exactly 100 days to September 1st, but I am not crazy enough to think I could read all 100 in so short a time (1 book a day is just a little TOO crazy).  But what I would like to try is to take a picture with each book as I collect or get them from the library.  While I am doing this I will also be reading as well.  I honestly don't know how this will affect my regular Popsugar Challenge.  But this is too good to pass up and it is an unexpected, unplanned awesome event that I don't want it to pass me by. 

For Day 1, and maybe my ultimate summer challenge, is to read The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.  I first knew about this story while I was young, but my first memory of it was watching the French miniseries in French class.  I love what I remembered about the story but the size of this book is enough to intimidate me.  It is just over 1400 pages.  The Bible is the only other book I have read of this length.  I, surprisingly enough, did find the time to rewatch the 2002 version of the movie.  It is pretty different from the book, but I love the actors from the movie so much that I don't think I can fault it very much for steering so off the plot.  Jim Caviezel (who plays Jesus in The Passion of the Christ) and a very young Henry Cavill (the newest Superman) are Edmond Dantes and Albert Mondego.  Any way, I know this is suppose to be about the books, but I may from time to time mention the movies, too. 

Here are the pictures:

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas





The Bookmark




The tiny dent I made- one quarter done/25%
I must add that there will be no specific order.  I am just going to do the best I can.  I have already read about 20 on the list (some so long ago I would like to at least skim over a few I know I have read before just to get an idea of the book). 

In an effort to get as much read over the past two days- I have been listening to the youtube librovox audio book while washing dishes and cross stitching.  I hauled this book to a Bible study and to the park so far.  This will be such an adventure!

As for the book itself.  I have been very much enjoying it.  I love Edmond Dantes.  I don't think Dumas spends a whole lot of time on character development but if he were alive now he would make a great soap opera writer.  I have read mixed reviews about the ending, but as that is probably pretty far off I won't worry about it.

Super excited for The Great American Read Summer!  I have no idea what is going to happen.  I have just been taken with this idea and I can't stop now.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........