The Great American Read: Day 4 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

According to Goodreads I marked this book as read.  And after listening to about an hour or so of the audio book I am pretty sure I did read it all the way to the end.  I really hope I am not cheating because the only version I remember reading was one of those Illustrated Abridged Classics, but I vaguely remember reading a lot of it in school.  I am going to count that I read it. 

This is the copy I remember reading- I felt cheated when I found out all of these books were abridged!


When I think of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain I think of Disneyland and Jonathan Taylor Thomas.  I got lost in the cave so I can at least pretend I relate.









I am a bigger fan of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  Even though I was assigned to read it at least three times in my memory, it really did get better at every read.  Nevertheless the book on the list is very American and I guess I will give it a vote at least once because I still love the characters. 

Look- I have a helper whitewashing the fence!




I keep forgetting to tell you all if I own the book or even where I got the books.  So just to recap- The Count of Monte Cristo (library), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (audio CD library), A Prayer for Owen Meany (bought from the local used bookstore), and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (library).  Now I will try to remember to say where/when I got the book because sometimes that is important to the story and connection to the book.

 I don't have much else to say about this book.  It is fun, adventurous, and a sign of its time.  I haven't introduced it to my girls as it isn't one of my favorites and understanding the time it was written is kind of important for the context of this book.  Any way, I have to get back to The Count of Monte Cristo- I am nearly half way done! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

The Great American Read: Day 3 A Prayer for Owen Meany