Popsugar Challenge 2019-How did it go?

I didn't have that great a year especially when I wanted so badly for things to get "normal".  But normal ended up being blood sugar testing, insulin shots for my youngest who is 8 and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes only 4 days into 2019, my husband dealing with personal stuff, me trying to be the supportive wife, and the never-ending cooking and cleaning.  2019- you were rough!  I managed to read about 35/40 for the regular challenge and 4/10 for the advanced.  A total of 39/50. Here is what I read.  

A book that makes you nostalgic:
"First read this book during our honeymoon in 2006! There was even an adapted show that came out this year based on this book on Amazon Prime.  It was a fun and funny reread."

A book you think should be turned into a movie:
 
"I read this book with my middle daughter and I think it would make a great animated movie.  This is the same author of How to Train Your Dragon and I think this book would make a great Dreamworks style production.  It was full of emotions, magic, and I even did a couple voices for the characters and I rarely feel the need to do that." 

A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads:
"Pretty good book, but had 2 really weird parts."

A book with a plant in the title or on the cover:
"Read with Hermione- I loved this book.  It was so sweet.  It was about a girl with no arms and about her life at an Arizona theme park that her parents help run."

A reread of a favorite book:
"I needed a lot of comfort reads this year.  So glad I can always come home to Hogwarts."

A book about a hobby:
"The prompt was a bit of a stretch for this one- the main character loves to bird watch and has a birding journal, but I read this one with Hermione.  I loved it.  It had a bit of a mystery and it was great to read during winter."

A book you meant to read in 2018:
"I started this book around Thanksgiving time last year, but it was a bit hefty and I didn't want to read it during Advent and Christmas so I carried it through into 2019.  It was pretty good until a lot of the wars were confusing.  It did help to get perspective on the Pilgrims and Natives."

A book with the words POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in t he title:
"This is a bit of a stretch but I saw that someone else counted it so I did too.  I listened to it.  I did NOT like it.  Mary Poppins is mean and the story is too random.  It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland when weird animals and people just pop up and "teach" you things or annoy you till you move on to the next thing."

A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover:
"Continuing with comfort rereads I decided it was time to reread The Hunger Games series.  I decided that the Mockingjay pin would be perfect for this prompt.  I still love Katniss and this series even if the last book is a big dull.  I think I finally got Hermione to start reading it."

A book published posthumously:
"Where do I begin with how I didn't like this book?  It was just boring compared to the first two.  Until the very end it was mostly Lizbeth recovering and a side story that went on FOREVER.  Not sure if I will finish this series."

A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore:
"This one surprised me.  I liked it very much.  It had a lot of adventure and descriptive scenery."

A book you see someone reading on TV:
"Last minute prompt change...I saw Jane reading this on Jane the Virgin and I am trying to fill up my prompts.  I liked this book okay.  It wasn't as funny as I was told it would be, but I liked the unique style it was written in."

A book with a question in the title:
"I don't think Lucy enjoyed this book as much as I did.  Poems written about every single first lady.  It is recent and I found it very entertaining.  It would make a great way to kick off a year of reading first lady and presidential biographies which is something I would like to do but not until I am much older."

A book about someone with a superpower:
"Loved this cute book!"

A book told from multiple POVs:
"Well this book was weird....I don't think I knew what to expect because I picked up randomly but I don't know if I am coming back to this author any time soon."

A book set in space:
"I had never read this second book.  It was actually really fun and short."

A book by two female authors:


"I loved this book!  It was so incredibly sad!  Usually animal stories and magical surrealism aren't my thing but the sisters and the dad!  Oh, boy, get some tissues!"


A book set in Scandinavia:
"Compared to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I liked this one the best!  It had action and super revenge and really getting to see how Lisbeth's mind works.  It was a great ride."

A book that takes place in a single day:
"I loved this book!!!  It was so full of friendship and emotions!"

A debut novel:

The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead- "I don't think I have been more confused or less interested in a topic as this book about elevators, some kind of bait and switch, and some kind of social commentary on racism.  I am not smart enough for these kinds of books."

A book published in 2019:
"I am so glad I was able to get in some fluffy cozy mysteries in!  Unfortunately reading these out of order spoiled a few things for me and these aren't written well AT ALL so don't expect great literature, but I still love Hannah Swenson even if stringing guys along is just the worst."  

A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature:
"Rereading is just so comforting!"

A book recommended by a celebrity you admire:
"I don't follow celebrities or "admire" them so this prompt was a little tough.  I think I found this book recommended from Michelle Obama or Bill Gates who I, at the very least, think well of and are the people I would go to for book recommendations.  I LOVED this book.  I couldn't stop thinking about it and it made me appreciate my own life."  

A book with LOVE in the title:
"This was a cute book, but the movie was better."  

A book featuring an amateur detective:
"Fluffy, comfortable, predictability!"

A book about a family:



Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt- "Wow! What a life!  I was both grossed out some of the stories and impressed that he made it out of Ireland."

A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America:
"Another book where the movie is better?  It is some what unusual, but I really didn't like the book very much but the movie was so colorful and fun."

A book with zodiac sign or astrology term in title:
"A admit this is a stretch....but my challenge, my rules...This book was SO sad!  My daughter was NOT kidding when she tried to prepare me."

A book that includes a wedding:
"A book I read with my youngest who is 8 years old.  We love the Owl Diaries series and this was perfect for this prompt."

A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter:
"Entertaining but I lost interest 3/4 of the way through."

A ghost story:
"A good friendship story!  It was also about growing up and moving on."

A book with a two word title:
"I keep trying to finish this series and this is where I ended last time too.  I guess it just is too cheesy for me."

A novel based on a true story:
"I ugly cried after this book!  You need a whole box of tissues to get through this book!  The ending was amazing!!  This was such a great story of overcoming the odds and human resilience!"

A book revolving around a book or puzzle:
"Entertaining but difficult to follow!"

Your favorite prompt from past POPSUGAR Reading Challenges: (A book you borrowed)
"This was a wonderful book about books!"

ADVANCED LIST

An "own voices" book: 
"A delightful book!  I read it with my 12 year old daughter."

Read a book during the season it is set in:
 "Summer read!"

A book with no chapters/unusual chapter headings/unconventionally numbered chapters:
"Mixed feelings about this book, but I am glad I read it!"

A book that inspired a common phrase or idiom:
"I am not totally sure if it fit here, but someone suggested 'My PRECIOUS!' for the common phrase and I really wanted to read The Hobbit again." 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........