Weather Elements and Animals (but not really)

I have reached the half way point of the main challenge!!!  Which means summer is nearly here and possibly even MORE reading!  It is an exciting time to be a reader as The Great American Read begins tonight.  I will not be able to watch it because we don't have regular TV channels, but I will most definitely be streaming it tomorrow.   In preparation I have got my check list filled out and I cleaned out my book shelf and gathered as many from the 100 List as I could find.  It wasn't many as I don't tend to read classics or popular books but it will be fun to try to read from this list even if a few are questionable (really? how did Fifty Shades of Grey and Gone Girl make it onto this list?)

I know it looks lame with all the Left Behind books but I promise I will start filling it out after I make a few trips to the used bookstore.





I have only read 20 on the list.



I always knew I liked to read, but I think I can now officially call myself a book nerd.  I just feel more bookish then I ever have before.  The only thing I feel I am really lacking is a Book Club and real life people to talk to about books, and I feel like I am really getting there soon. 

MOM'S READING
This last week was read a book with a weather element in the title.  I took it a little easy and read a Newbery for this one.  Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind by Suzanne Fisher Staples was really good book.  I loved Shabanu.  I loved learning about her world and her camels and her family.  Her situation in life was not great and in the end she had to make a terrible decision that no girl her age should EVER have to make.  But I am so glad I was able to read this book.  I only feel I might have been looking at this book through a Western's lens because the author is also a Westerner so I may have lost something in the story and not been aware of it. 






Progress on the Popsugar Challenge: 21/40 & 0/10

Newbery Challenge Points: 13 points (Goal is 15)
Ramona Quimby, Age 8- 2pt.
A Fine White Dust- 2pt.
The Inquisitor's Tale- 2pt. 
The Snowy Day- 1pt.
Afternoon of the Elves- 2pt.  
One Crazy Summer- 2pt.  
Shabanu: Doughter of the Wind- 2pt.   

Officially this week is suppose to be a book with an animal in the title but I am going to count My Life in Dog Years by Gary Paulsen that I read to the girls earlier in the year so that I might try to concentrate my efforts on the massive The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.  This huge book might take me all year and then some but I am determined to try.  I have always loved this story and it will be a great accomplishment to dig into the details.  Wish me luck!  Also it just so happens I can count it for The Great American Read list and the Popsugar Challenge if I get it done this year. 






HERMIONE'S READING

A book with a weather element in the title wasn't too difficult to find.  The book we chose was Zane and the Hurricane: A Story of Katrina by Rodman Philbrick.  She has also been reading Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech and Pie by Sarah Weeks- I will have to double check if they work for any prompts. 












ARIANA'S READING

As the school year is winding down she is doing less and less reading.  She was already not reading much to begin with but no worries- summer reading is around the corner and mom can take away the Kindle Fire whenever she wants to (power to the moms that have to battle with electronics!).  I did end up sharing a book of poems and puppets with her recently.  It was honestly a little creepy but the poems were very nice. 





Summer break seems so close and yet it is still more than two weeks away!  I can't sit inside much longer.  I love to read, but I want to read in the sunshine. 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........