The Great American Read: Day 18 The Catcher in the Rye

Whoa!  This book had been giving me bad vibes before I even cracked it open- not a good sign.  The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger is a book I have seen on many classics lists and I hadn't really heard negative things about it per se but I had vaguely heard that one usually will not enjoy this book unless you are young- but I would add you wouldn't like this book unless you are self absorbed and a bit of a snob.  I shouldn't be saying this though- I haven't read the whole book.  But so far I can not stand this book.  The only way I think I will get through this book is by rewarding myself with a negative review on Goodreads after every page I get through.

My first impressions: this Holden guy is HORRIBLE (I want to call him a douche bag but I am a lady), I rarely say I hate a book but this one might be honored with the first, the language is terrible and full of meaningless cursing, the writing is outrageously repetitive and if the point is to see how long you can drag out an angsty teenager with no plot then Salinger does a great job, lastly Holden is so incredibly hypocritical it makes me want to tear out my hair.  These were my thoughts in just the first 70 pages so if this doesn't get any better this will be one of the few books I will start a rant about.



I am only smiling because I hadn't started reading the book at this point yet and the "I love you" is for my readers NOT for this book.  Regrettably I own this book but it is a recent purchase from the used bookstore so at least I can say this hasn't been sitting on my shelf for years polluting my other books and maybe if it is as bad as the bad reviews say I can ceremoniously set in on fire afterwards but again- I am a lady so that is unlikely.  Plus with any project there are sure to be some bumps in the road and this one is my first big "NO NO" on The Great American Read and likely will not be my last. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........