The Great American Read: Day 13 Americanah

So first things first- I love the look of the cover of Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, but we aren't suppose to judge a book by its cover and that is probably the worst thing I could say about a book very much about race and discovering things about people that we wouldn't know unless we get to know them. 

This book is going to take some time to get to know.  It is on the longer side and written about a Nigerian woman who has been living in America but is in the process of moving back home to Nigeria to reunite with an old flame.  This is a modern book and I have heard of the author once. 






First impressions:  this is going to be a tough book, it has intricacies in it that I don't understand especially the politics in Nigeria, it started off promising and even had me laughing because I was recently at a party meeting a man from Burkina Faso and I jokingly said "We know nothing about African geography." which as almost the exact same joke made in the book

In any case, I own the book now and bought it from the Value Village so I will have plenty of time to read it.  I was able to stock up on 7 more books from The Great American Reads List.  I own at least 35 of the books on the list now!  I am excited to do some more used book hunts.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

The Great American Read: Day 3 A Prayer for Owen Meany