The Great American Read: Day 27 The Color Purple

The Color Purple by Alice Walker- I knew this book was going to be dealing with tough stuff- abuse, rape, racism, sexism, toxic relationships, separation, and religion and so much more, but I was willing to open my mind and really tackle the hard issues presented.  Just because books deal with hard things and even especially things I don't like doesn't mean I will dismiss the book.  I wouldn't say it has always been like this.  Some of my biggest struggles and personal preferences have caused me to dismiss and down right dislike books.  I know I won't like all the books I read and maybe I waste a bit of time on a few but this book has surprised me.  It started off completely rough and nasty- rape, incest, and alleged infanticide/murder.  But half way through the book, oh yes, this was a great reading day- I am almost done with this book, Nettie's letters enter the picture and truth comes out and strength and rising above starts to really shine.

Took this book to the park!


This is not a happy book.  This is not a clean book.  I have been seeing life from a different perspective and letting the struggle be a part of the journey.  I don't know where this will go, but some books will never stop surprising me and I am so happy about that.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........