The Great American Read: Day 30 Beloved

I guess finally finishing The Count of Monte Cristo tired me out because I have had a nasty cold for the past 4 days so now I have some catching up to do so these posts will be extra short.

Beloved by Toni Morrison was a book I read for Minority Lit. class in college.  I feel bad about it, but I don't really like this book.  I probably feel guilty for being white but this book was hard to understand and had at least 3 very shocking scenes described within the pages that I kinda wish were not in my head and I wish I could figure out a way to find the "good".  I don't mind shock but shock without a clear purpose or message is what is throwing me off.  I feel there is a message that I don't get and won't understand because I am white.  I have been reading a few reviews and I almost feel the message but I am not quite there yet.

In any case, this book is about slavery, cruelty, dehumanization, ghosts, spirits, mysticism, rape, infanticide, psychological torture, and basically all the worst things in the world along with a confusing timeline just to make it even more horrible.  Maybe the point/message is lost on me.  I remember really wanting to give this book a chance especially after not finishing Toni Morrison's other work The Bluest Eye.  I was determined to finish one of her books even if I had to get through a lot of uncomfortable stuff so that I could maybe understand or sympathize or something.  In the end I just felt really really bad for everyone and a little freaked out by ghosts.  Feel free to explain to me a bit more about this book that I am not getting.  I do want to understand.



This is a library book and covered with one of those plastic covers so sorry about the glare.  I wish I had something positive to say. 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

The Great American Read: Day 3 A Prayer for Owen Meany