The Great American Read: Day 53 The Pilgrim's Progress

This last week my husband and I took our youth group on a road trip through a few places in southern Oregon, but I wanted to try to keep up with a few books at least.  I thought it was appropriate to start off the trip with The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan.  I know this is considered a Christian classic and I profess to be a Christian, but I haven't really enjoyed this story very much.  It is very labeling and I don't think I am good at reading allegory.  That being said I still should read it.  I know it is a dream and the main character is named Christian and he is trying to get to the Celestial City which is on top of Mount Zion.  Along this journey he meets many trials, temptations, and various characters.  Just to get an idea Christian first meets a couple guys named Obstinate and Pliable.  The names obviously reflect the person's characteristics.  I remember it going on like this for a long time and I don't remember a very satisfying ending- but then again I haven't read the book- I have seen plays, flannel graphs, and Sunday school books trying to tell or recreate the story but I have never had the opportunity to read the book itself.  I didn't have more than a few minutes to read on the first day of the trip because I was stressed and tired.  I am only slightly interested in reading this book. 





This picture was at a rest stop around Grants Pass.  This is a book I own and I bought because I knew I should read it some day and I liked the pretty cover. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........