The Great American Read: Day 65 Little Women

In honor of Sisters Day, I will be posting on the most iconic "sisters" book of all time- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.  This book is about the 4 March sisters and their mom whom they call Marmee and all the big and little things that bring them closer as sisters and ultimately friends.  I actually have not read the unabridged version of this book.  But I hold this one close in my memory as one of my favorites.  This is the copy I carried around with me everywhere when I was ten year old.



I loved the cover of this particular book.  I remember my mom showing me the 1933 version of the movie.  It was one of my favorites.  I loved all the sisters except for Amy.  I was 12 when the 1994 version of the movie came out.  I don't think I got to see it in theaters but I remember seeing it few years later and I used it as a compare and contrast paper for English.  In fact I am quite sure I saw a youtube video with just that....



If I had to say why I liked the book it would probably be because I liked that it was old fashioned and not stuffy.  Even way back when I wanted people to think I was well read when I carried that book around- haha!  I loved Jo's sacrifice of her hair.  I loved that I could identify with Beth's shyness.  Plus I love that this book got Joey from Friends to read and become vulnerable and emotional.  


I am excited to reread this book with fresh eyes plus I will get to read the unabridged version AND I found a copy that included the sequels Good Wives and Little Men.  I tried reading Little Men when I was a teenager and there were just TOO many little men so hopefully this time around I am better at keeping the characters straight.


Also I heard there is a new PBS version that came out around May and I am excited to see it.  I probably won't be able to until the library gets it but still I am hoping it turns out great!  I have heard positive things.


I got the copy of the book I now have from Goodwill very recently.  I have never had my own unabridged version.  So yah for me!  Even though I haven't officially read this book I have voted for it a couple times based on my memory and how truly American this book is. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........