December Update

I usually take a break here in December to focus on Advent and wrap up my Popsugar Challenge.  I needed to give a personal update and to say I am still reading just much more slowly.   I was doing okay with the old schedule and with the challenge up until our family has had a bit of a crisis NOT involving Lucy's Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis but rather my husband's job and his mental and physical health.  I have been in support and cheerleader mode.  It doesn't leave much time for reading and reviewing but, you know, seasons of life and all that.  It is very important not to let my personal goals and preferences to take center stage.  I need to be here for my husband and for my family.  Sure, I am going to miss this part of my life and I will be here from time to time just not in the way it use to be. 

What I have been trying to read these last few weeks:






I started the complete collection of Little Women, Good Wives, and Little Men about a month ago for a book that is becoming a movie this year.  I am pretty excited to watch the new movie.  I never read the entire book that wasn't an abridged version.  It is a lot more sentimental and moralistic than I thought it would be.  I ran across an article on the author Louisa May Alcott which I found very interesting especially since I didn't know how the author herself did not like this style of writing.  I am only a quarter into the book and I'm a little impatient with myself for the pace but I am also trying to be forgiving to myself because of our current situation.  I even found it on audio book and just haven't really gotten in a routine of listening to it when I can.  Sorry, if I sound like I am whining and complaining.  It is because I feel lost without reading and now I am mostly cooking and cleaning and surviving which makes me feel a little hollow inside and like I lost a big part of my identity.  Life without a big routine of it being reading doesn't feel like a life at all, but I keep telling myself that this is the sacrifice God has called for ME.  Just like Jo was called to cut her long "one beauty" I have been called to cut back on the reading and serve my family.  Does it sound a little melodramatic (okay, a lot melodramatic) or woe is me or do I sound like I am some sort of martyr or victim?  Sure, it does.  I am not going to pretend it doesn't.  But the feelings are there and they are real and half of the battle is acknowledging the feelings, I think. 



Any way, back to this rambling post.  I have watched the preview for the new movie multiple times now and I am hopeful that it will be done decently.  I grew up watching the very old version plus the Winona Ryder version.  This book does have a special place in my heart- see HERE



I am borrowing a book from a friend of mine who I was able to discuss some of my very real struggles with Protestants and how beautiful I find Catholicism.  I doubt anything serious will come of this but I am very much enjoy the book she let me borrow called Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots by Scott Hahn.




For my Advent devotional reading this year I am reading Love Came Down At Christmas by Sinclair Ferguson.  It is a wonderful seasonal read.  It is beautiful it how it is simply taking 1 Corinthians 13 and giving examples of Christ's specific love for us through the Christmas story.  Plus the cover is gorgeous.  




On a whim I started the children's chapter book from The Guardians series by William Joyce called Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King.  And in the pure fashion of my life I put it in my purse so I could try to get back into the reading habit and on a busy day I put some cheese curds and marinara sauce in as well and I think you can guess the rest.  Needless to say I had to buy the book and replace the library copy-ugh!  I can't believe I was so careless.  Any way, life keeps going and obviously worse things happen every day.  I am going to get over it and move on.  Still really annoying though. 


WINTER READ ALOUDS

I am officially following the Read Aloud Revival Family Bookclub reads because, um, why not?  I don't know.  I think it is my lame attempt to get my family to read together instead of separately.  I won't name names but there is A SOMEONE who ruins it nearly constantly..  The mom in me is just talking to herself- "At least you are trying."  So we are going to read the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I think Hermione might have read all of them already and I think I have read the first 2 to Ariana but this will be Lucy's first time.  I am praying this will at the very least turn into a decent memory.





PICTURE BOOKS

We have been reading some picture books, too.  In fact last night, Ariana and Lucy and I cuddled up with some really good seasonal ones.



















Well I am trying to stay positive and flexible.  I am very hopeful even if I sound a little down in the dumps right now.  I do have a secret.....for 2020 I have big new reading plan!  You will have to wait and see!  I have hinted in the past that I would do this but this time it is going to be for real!  I am excited for what will be coming next!  I hope you will to if you are still on this journey with me!  Happy Reading! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........