The Great American Read: Day 80 The Martian

In honor of yesterday being Potato Day, I read about 30 pages of The Martian by Andy Weir because "Godspeed, little taters.  My life depend on you."  The Martian is a science fiction novel about a man who is stuck on Mars during a mission while all his team presumed him to be dead during a horrible windstorm.  The writing of this book is written like a diary or logbook by Mark, the man left behind, as he struggles to figure out how he is going make enough food (hence the potatoes) till the next mission is sent to Mars.  I have seen the movie version of this and I liked it.  I had heard the book was much more funny (it also has more foul language but not in a gratuitous way and definitely appropriate to the situation).  I actually did laugh out loud with this one already and I am only 30 pages in.  I was really hoping to find this book at the used book store so that I could continue read it, but alas I have not found it yet. 

Some people think this book is too technical and some have said it is too silly and some have said they just don't like the writing style, but I enjoyed what I did read and as always I encourage you to make up your own mind.  Excited to read this one in the future maybe by then we really will get to Mars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........