The Great American Read: Day 85 Dona Barbara

Dona Barbara by Romulo Gallegos is one of a handful (I haven't gotten a specific count yet as I have been busy) on The Great American Read List that is translated.  As I have come to learn this is one of the staples of Latin American literature written by the first democratically elected president of Venezuela.  It was also turned into a soap opera.  I have only glanced over the first 10 pages and I tried to read a couple reviews but they are mostly in Spanish, but my first vague impression is that Dona Barbara sounds a little like Kissin' Kate Barlow from Holes but less kid friendly.  She sounds like a woman with a mission and I am very curious to learn about the past that shaped her.  I did have to buy this book because I could only find it in Spanish at my library so it is only one of two books that I had to special order for this project- that is pretty good considering I have a limit on check outs at one time going on.  Also I am starting to burn out on this project just a little bit so you can see I fueled up with an energy drink- trying to finish this project strong- almost done!

And a stack of books by my side to finish this project!
 I almost immediately recognized the foreword from this book as written by Larry McMurtry as the author of Lonesome Dove so go me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

The Great American Read: Day 3 A Prayer for Owen Meany