The Great American Read: Day 86 The Handmaid's Tale

Back in March of this year (2018) my Popsugar Reading Group voted to read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for the prompt "book about feminism".  I personally wouldn't label it that way.  It certainly has feminists up in arms and it is a classic of speculation and dystopian world building, but it was not a favorite book of mine and I don't think I learned anything specifically about "feminism".  I listened to it on audio so I am not sure if reading it would be more helpful.  Unlike so many women who love this book, I could not find it very believable.  Plus the ending was such a cop out.  I wasn't moved.  I didn't feel like it was a "warning".  I understand women are oppressed, but not like this.  Atwood said she wrote that all these things have happened to women.  I really need to get to reading the articles that explain that- I know I started one but it was bit too wordy at the time.  I guess I just personally didn't get this book and it wasn't "scary" or "prophetic" or made me feel like I should be worried about loosing my human rights.  I even tried watching the Hulu series of this book to see if I needed to feel and see it differently to understand it.  It didn't change how I felt.  Try as I might I can't seem to put myself in another's shoes in this book.  I liked the speculation more than the product.

library book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........