The Great American Read: Day 100 This Present Darkness

This is the last one and it is a bit of a cheat- BUT I am 70% sure I have read this book.  On the other hand I remember next to nothing about it so I guess I better put it on the reread list.  This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti is a book I was HOPING to find in my church's library.  They didn't have it, but they did have the second book in the two part story Piercing the Darkness.  The reason I think I read this book was because shortly after my first year in college I was on a Peretti kick.  My mom recommended them.  I do remember reading The Visitation and The Oath but again I don't remember the plots.  They have a very 1980s vibe because I remember growing up during the time when spiritual warfare was big thing within the church and my sphere/community.  I was indoctrinated with Chick Tract publications and if you don't know what that is you don't really need to know because I would not recommend them- here is a video just in case you are extra curious though and an even longer video if you need to know some more.  Google that for yourself.  But these are the images that come to my mind when I think of Frank Peretti books.







His books deal with the unseen world of spiritual warfare- so a lot of demons and angels.  I am curious what I would think about them now because I remember at the time of reading his stuff I was enthralled and I thought it was so intense.  It almost made me want to be one of those homeless preachers...almost.  But now I probably would find it a little silly and over the top. 





Here is my little cheat- I used my Kindle to put the screen of This Present Darkness next to Piercing the Darkness in my church's library which isn't open and so I kept it dark and spooky just like the books.  I did vote for this book once just because I remember it got me reading again and thinking differently so it did have some impact on me even if I remember nothing else about it. 

*Long SIGH* I am DONE!  That was the last book to post about for The Great American Read and I am going on a mini-vacation to the coast for the weekend!  I will be back to post a reflection post on Monday, but I am glad I did this AND I am glad to be done because I have so much reading to do.  It was fun!  I hope you will be inspired to read a few from the list that you never would have before and form your own opinions because I know I will. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........