Reading with my Girls plus Planning Hobbit Day

It took awhile to get motivated this week to be honest.  Last week I didn't get to write at all because our family was picking out a kitten!  Can you believe it?  I will post more pictures once we get the poor thing out of the cone of shame because she was spade and will have to have it one for nearly 2 weeks.  Also since I didn't make dinner last week I ordered a pizza but it took FOREVER to be ready so I didn't even get home till nearly 8 o'clock. 

But I was able to spend some quality time reading The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell with Ariana.  This is a fun story about wizards who are being persecuted by the warriors but a boy wizard named Xar and a girl warrior named Wish team up together in an unlikely twist of fate.  We are a little half way done.  It is very suspenseful so far and Ariana is so worried about what will happen to her favorite character named Squeezejoos. 








I did manage to read with Hermione, too.  The book we are reading together is It Ain't So Awful, Falafel by Firoozeh Dumas.  I love this book.  It is about a girl from Iran who now lives in California in the late 1970s.  She is just trying to fit in as she tries not to worry about the revolution happening in her homeland.  It is funny and endearing and I am learning so much.  Even though it hasn't come up in the book yet I did teach Hermione how to make falafel. 





The rest of this week has been focused on getting ready for Hobbit Day on September 22!  I had intended to at least bake one element a day but didn't really get started till Wednesday.  I am going to keep the menu about the same as last year.  Here is what it will look like:

Breakfast- Bilbo's Seedcakes with Coffee

Second Breakfast- Eggs & Bacon

Elevenses- Lembas Bread and Sausages with Cider

Luncheon- Potato Soup (I decided NOT to make it from scratch this year)

Tea Time- Apple Scones and Tea of course

Dinner- Slow Cooked Pork and Cabbage

Supper- Farmer Maggot's Cottage Pie

After Supper Morsel- Ranger Cookies


Obviously not all the recipes are "Middle Earth" approved but more like inspired.  Here are a few pictures I have taken of the tiny bit of progress so far:

Bilbo's Seedcakes




Elven Lembas Bread




I don't know if we are watching the movies or if I am rereading The Hobbit or listening to the sound track or ambiance or listen to a Tolkien podcast or scrolling and sharing Lord of the Rings memes or just cooking and eating.  The possibilities are pretty much endless.  I am excited to tell you how it goes next week!  I hope you have a Happy Hobbit Day and let your furry feet take you on an adventure. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........