The Jane Austen Project and more

We are half way through January so it is time to bake up some delicious Raspberry Almond Scones and raise a cup of black currant tea and get cozy with our first few reads of the new year! 



I just finished The Jane Austen Project by  Kathleen A. Flynn.  It was entertaining.  It had time travel.  It had sexy times.  It had a loose ending, but I found it interesting and mildly amusing though implausible even if that is what to be expected most often in time travel.  I actually weirdly related to the main character Rachel Katzman/Mary Ravenswood the most and surprisingly so because she is well educated, confident in her sexuality, and a doctor- all things I am NOT.  I think I just liked her sense of adventure and being able to remain calm during a crisis and her kindness to Tom (the climbing chimney sweep boy).  It was a little hard to tell if the characters were really fleshed out or not.  I think I was expecting more adventure and more personal information (fictional or not) about Jane Austen herself like- What time of day did she like to write?  What were her favorite foods?  What were her religious beliefs?  Maybe these are all things a true fan would know any way and it wouldn't be so interesting to other readers.  I did learn that Jane Austen did not like the name Rachel, though, which I found funny.  Any way,  it was a descent book but not mind blowing or super special. 


I am currently reading WAY too many other books, but what is life without me trying to read all the books ever and all at once- I jest, of course, but I am having a hard time keeping to Jane Austen reads and having to give up my interactions with the folks in my reading challenge groups.  I will keep working on it. 

I have been watching Sanditon on Masterpiece and might try to read it soon.  I also rewatched Sense and Sensibility on Amazon Prime.  I have been searching for Jane Austen related podcasts.  I will let you know when I become totally dedicated to Jane (except for reading to my girls and the exceptional Newbery reading). 



This week we celebrated Hot and Spicy Food Day on January 17th with Flamin' Cheetos, Doritos, JalapeƱo  Kettle Chips, and Takis Fuego.  Lucy has started reading the Boxcar Children books.  Ariana picked up a couple of books.  Hermione has been fighting illness and doesn't read much during the school year.

















I am trying to also hide the fact that I listened to the WORST BOOK EVER!  And I am so ashamed...but I am looking on the bright side that this year's reading can only go up from here especially if I try harder to stay on theme.  I listened to Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis and it was plain AWFUL.  I wanted to know what the hype was about and I was wondering why it was on the Christian book seller list....ugh...just ugh...  for my full review go HERE

Don't waste your time with this book.  It is a 200+ page of humble brag with no pointing to the gospel or even remotely thanking God or Jesus but she thanks her nanny.  It is the fluff that "itching ears" want to hear to make themselves feel better for fat shaming and neglecting true and meaningful relationships in pursuit of wealth and good looks.  I will stop now.  But seriously- I wouldn't be so upset if this was an actual Christian book and not masquerading as one.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........