Wildlife Reads

I miss writing.  I miss not feeling guilty for loving to read and write.  Unfortunately bad luck seems to follow me or to say it a bit more dramatically- the Devil is attacking but God will overcome.  It has been a very rough end of summer and this obvious disrupts my schedule which in the grand scheme is the least of my worries, but I know for me just doing what is "normal" for me will at least help me feel like "normal" has returned.  Sorry about being cryptic but the situation is so complicated and sensitive I am not at liberty to share.  But  I can say that I will keep reading and writing.  That will not change.  I just have no idea if it will be once a week, once every few weeks, or once a month.

Let me see if I can begin again.....

This was the first official week of the start of school where we live.  I decided to try to do theme weeks again.  I am going to keep them going through 2020 so that I have plenty of time to plan them ahead and just have fun.  I miss fun.

Any way, I will have fun even if no one else will.  The 4th of this week was National Wildlife Day and Lucy is my special guest reader this week!  Since her favorite animal is a fox we read a couple of fox books.  But she also did something sweet for me and picked out a book with the cutest hedgehog on it- my favorite animal. 






We also made some hedgehog toast with Nutella and had a stuffed animal parade on the table.  Here are some of our shenanigans.  









I also read a book called Maybe A Fox by Kathi Appelt and Alison McGhee.  




 First a warning- this is a sad book even for people like me who aren't really into animal stories. SPOILERS- This book is about a pair of sisters named Sylvia and Jules.  Sylvie loves to run.  Jules loves rocks.  One day they build a snow family near the Slip.  They are not suppose to be there.  Sylvie runs too fast and too far.  She falls through the Slip and her body is never found.  Now Jules and her dad must live in the time After Sylvie.  Jules is loosing the memories of her mother that Sylvie was keeping alive.  A fox is born and knows she has a connection to Jules.  She helps Jules find the grotto and the "wish rocks" and many other memories.  In the end, another accident nearly kills Jules but the fox saves her life.  The fox had Sylvie's spirit and the book ends with her being carried by her mother. 

The best thing about this book were the relationships- especially those between the neighbors (Super Friend Sam and Jules) and the sisters (Jules and Sylvie) and the sisters and their dad. It really tugs at you heart strings. It makes you hope that even in tragedy it can create something beautiful.

The thing I liked least about this book was possibly the too many coincidences and maybe the side story of Sam and the catamount. Also what in the world is a Kennen? I looked it up and still wasn't sure I understood. 

 This book reminded me, of course, of Kathi Appelt's other books that I have read- The Underneath and Mogie: The Heart of the House plus it also reminded me of The One and Only Ivan. Basically, sad animal stories. This one was a bit different in that the animal wasn't the MAIN story or character.

I loved Jules best because I loved how much she loved rocks. Also I loved thinking about the neighbor Mrs. Harless making soups.

The characters I liked least- Liz, the bear and Mr. Archer.

Favorite quote- "Everyone knew that a fox meant luck."

I don't know if it is in necessarily bad taste but mostly based on the cover and the obvious occurrence of the fox these were the songs that came to mind while I was reading- "Fox on the Run" and "What Does the Fox Say?" Also "Wunderkind" from Alanis Morissette really rang through this whole story. 

 


The character I would most like to meet is the dad.  How much grief has he been through?  I am suprised by his ultimate gentleness and kindness.  He didn't get very angry or even yell. 

This book did make me want to trek through the woods of Vermont.  I love small towns America especial with places for kids to explore. 

The title refers to the "maybe" game Sylvie and Jules use to play when they would try to guess what happened to their mother after she died.  Maybe we become a star.  Maybe we can fly.  Maybe we become part of earth.  I think it a perfect title.

The cover of the one I read kinda looks like an Eric Carle type lettering.  But I like this edition better with shadow of the girl and the cursive script.  


Kathi Appelt likes writing sad, magic realism, and animal stories.  The one book by Alison McGhee I read was very sentimental.  I think they teamed up to write a sad story but to also show the beauty in nature, creating rituals, and how we are stronger then we realize.  It might also be about the power our wishes have on us and how our wishes rarely turn out how we want them to. 

Even though this book was sad the very fact that I was able to take the time to write a thoughtful review has given me hope.  Hope that maybe I can strengthen my faith in God and maybe even in parts of humanity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popsugar Challenge 2018 Nearly Complete with Mini Reviews

Girls Can! Crate, Raddish Fun, and What Hermione Does

Microhistory and only a few weeks left in 2018........